Caleb Crowther was physician to the Wakefield Dispensary (the forerunner of Clayton Hospital). In 1838 he bought land in George Street as the site of future almshouses. He died in 1848 leaving provision in his will for his money to be invested to provide for his niece in her lifetime and then to be spent on the almhouses. They were opened in 1863. Crowther himself is buried at the rear of the property. The almshouses are managed today by the Crowther Trustees - all of them essentially Non-conformists.