The West Riding Registry of Deeds. The West Riding magistrates were one of the first authorities in the country to provide for the registration of deeds and especially those relating to the transfer of property. It opened in 1704. The vast bound volumes, assembled by date, were transferred to the new premises in Newstead Road in 1932. The building now also houses the Wakefield and West Riding collections of the West Yorkshire Archive Service.